Hello From Your Camp Director!
Camp Nicolet Director’s Blog
September 17, 2015
Hello Campers, Parents, Staff, & Alumni!
I thought I should take a moment to introduce myself and update everyone on some fun stuff that is happening at camp right now. We’re already getting very excited for Summer 2016 and with registration right around the corner there is no better time than the present to start our new Camp Nicolet Director’s Blog. Look for postings with camp updates and useful information twice a month!
For those of you I have not had the opportunity to meet, my name is Jessica Shannon and I have been involved with camp since 2009 when my daughter, Lexi, first attended as a camper. I had sent her to several other camps before she found what would soon become our second home. In 2010, I followed her to camp as the office manager. Since then, I have filled the roles of activity instructor, cabin counselor, program director, and assistant director. And let’s not forget baker one summer! I graduated from Northern Arizona University with a BS in Park & Recreation Management and am currently pursuing my MS in Leadership at Grand Canyon University.
Growing up, I never had the chance to go to summer camp so I had no idea it was something that I would fall in love with after just one summer. I just knew that it was an opportunity that I wanted to provide for Lex. The development of independence, resilience, social skills, confidence, conflict-resolution skills, and the opportunity to be outdoors and reconnect with nature are all reasons that I chose camp. The dedication of the Starz family, the beauty of the camp grounds and facilities, the extensive staff training and support, and the development of lifelong bonds of friendship were the reasons that I chose Camp Nicolet.
This year, I met a long-term goal of becoming the Camp Director. In this role, I will recruit, hire, train, and guide the staff that will be directly caring for your children and oversee the daily operations at camp. When the campers are here, I am available to them to help with any adjustment or cabin issues or just to chat, as needed. I will also be your contact point for any questions or concerns and here to assist you through the process of sending your kiddos off to camp, whether it be for the first time or the fifth. Having been a camp parent first, I know how trying this can be and can understand and appreciate the anxiety that new (and experienced) parents may feel. Rest assured, even if they struggle with a little homesickness, it’s far worse for you than it is for them.
Now, as I promised…some updates from camp:
- Registration opens on October 1st!! Mark your calendars!! We’re anxiously waiting to see who will be the First Lady this year.
- Grounds are being shut down and some of the cabins are getting necessary face-lifts through repairs and/or paint jobs.
- The camp video is in the works and will premiere at the Camp Nicolet Open House. Stay tuned for details this winter!
- Staff applications are starting to roll in already and there are even interviews on the schedule. There are lots of great openings so spread the word if you know someone who would make a great addition to the Camp Nicolet family.
- And, last but not least, the camper and parent feedback from 2015 has received an extensive review and some new program changes have been made. Check out the website for the new daily schedule to get a peek at what’s in store!
We are always looking for feedback and constantly striving to make camp the best it can possibly be so I welcome your input and look forward to many great conversations. Please feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com or 715-545-2522. Only 275 days until the start of Session I!!